Power PointersProductivity tips and insights for improving essential behaviors that impact personal and organizational growth and performance
Discover Your Valuable Assets
In 2012, a young man was cleaning out the home of his deceased great aunt and uncle. During his great uncle’s life time he never mentioned his collection of comic books. But in the basement, there was a stack of old comic books worth $3.5 million! Had his nephew not recognized the value of those comics, they could have ended up in a landfill
We have something far more valuable than a stack of old comic books. But we don’t always realize the full extent of our gifts and talents—or the positive impact we could have if we fully utilized them. We have greater abilities and capacity than we can imagine, but reaching our full potential requires discovering our strengths and building upon them. If we take the responsibility to develop and use these gifts, we will reach our goals. If not, we will miss out on becoming the person we were meant to be.
How are you using your talents? Invest in your future by discovering and appreciating your unique gifts. Then put them to use—because your success rests on whether you use your talents. Here are some questions to help you get started. Likewise, if you lead or mentor others, you should ask yourself these questions about those you are coaching. Of course, your answers require action because success is dependent upon your actions.
- What are your strengths? Which areas are you not using to the best of your ability?
- How can you focus and build upon them?
- How does that differ from what you are doing now?
- How can you become the person you are capable of being?
- How can you better use your talents to help your organization reach its goals?
- What can you do in order to similarly help your family and community?
- Are you willing to pursue the things you should more diligently?
- When will you start?